Friday, April 23, 2010

The calm during the storm.

I'm never afraid of storms.

As I sit here, crunching my spinach salad, listening to the wind moan and howl like a possessed beast, watching the lightning turn the outside dark into an eerie, pale light, and hearing the thunder crash so much the windows shake, I'm reminded of exactly why I'm not afraid.

Ever since I can remember, Daddy would go out and sit on the front porch swing during a thunder storm. He'd just sit there with his legs stretched out, calmly admiring the glorious display of God's handiwork. I'd often sit with him, curled up close, feeling his strong arms around me, soaking in his peace. After an especially terrifying lightning bolt, or a thunderclap so fierce it seemed to herald the end of all things, Daddy would quietly say, "You know, this storm can't come an inch past where God says it can."

That simple belief was the foundation for Daddy's serenity in the storm. He didn't have peace because he was stupid or naive; he knew the damage and destruction a tornado or a single lightning bolt striking the right place could bring.

But his faith was in something mightier than the wind and rain and lightning - it was in the storm's Creator.

And as Daddy swung gently to and fro on the front porch, he taught me what it means to have no fear of what nature can do... for nature can do nothing without the hand of our kind Heavenly Father.

5 comments:

Jacob said...

My thoughts exactly.
I was riding home last evening with Caleb Frederick, listening to the song "Calling Out Your Name" talking very animatedly about the joys of riding home in storms, (rain and especially snow), how much I identify with St Francis (if you want to here me monologue about him, just ask me. During a storm), and screaming with delight (figure of speech; i don't believe I've ever screamed since I could speak, though I'm open minded about it) every time a lighting bolt showed its face. My spirits always soar when in rains hard.

There. How's that for repulsive sentence and paragraph structure?
...And I would walk five hundred more/just to be the man who would walk 1000 miles to be in a thunderstorm.

Katie said...

Jake, I hate that song. Period.

nonie said...

Thanks for the sweet words about your Daddy. It is sage advice to all of us. I can just see him swinging and holding you. A sweet way to continue my morning.

Lolly said...

Ditto on the memories of Daddy. I love storms because of him. You know, deep down, that you also love "I would walk". You know you do. Don't deny it.

Amongchosen said...

So sweet to hear of your awesome relationship with your daddy. I know you are very grateful to have had such a dad. What a blessing. I love rain storms, too. I wouldn't mind seeing a tornado even because like your dad said, it cannot go one inch further than our Father says it can go. His power is so awesome in storms. My children love playing in them. I remember doing the same as a child. Only now as a mom, I hate the muddy clothes that get left in the laundry room floor.